What Benefits am I Entitled to—Part 3 Total v. Partial Disability

By: Eric D. Abes

If you have been injured at work, you may be entitle to indemnity benefits, a fancy way of saying lost wages. There are two types of lost wages benefits: total disability and partial disability. Total disability means that your doctor has restricted you for all work. Partial disability means that you are capable of doing some work.

Total disability benefits are paid according to a formula dictated by the Pennsylvania Workers’ Compensation Act, approximately two-thirds or your pre-injury earnings. Benefits are capped at $978.00 per week (as of 2016). Low wage earners are entitled to a higher percentage of their pre-injury income.

These benefits are theoretically payable for life, however, the insurance company for your employer has many legal options to limit or end your benefits. Your employer may send you for an examination to attempt to prove you are capable of working. Also, once you have received 104 weeks of total disability, your employer may send you to a doctor to determine your level of disability according to the American Medical Association. If your level is less than 50%, your benefits would be limited to 500 weeks.

If your doctors think you can work a light duty job for a lower wage, and work is available, you would be entitled to two-thirds of the difference between your pre-injury earnings and your light duty earnings. These benefits are subject to a maximum of $978.00 (as of 2016). Partial disability is capped at 500 weeks of benefits.

If you have been hurt at work contact Abes Baumann to make sure you are getting all the benefits you are entitled to under the law.

Did You Serve with the 911th Aeromedical Evacuation or Aircraft Maintenance Squadrons or the 758th Airlift Squadron Between 1972-1982?

By: Susan Paczak

If you served with one of these units from 1972-1982, you may qualify for VA Benefits. The VA now recognizes that if you operated, maintained, or served aboard a C-123 aircraft known to have sprayed Agent Orange- you were exposed to Agent Orange. This means that you may be eligible for compensation if you suffer from diseases that the VA agrees were caused by Agent Orange. This includes diseases such as: type II diabetes, heart disease (heart attack, coronary artery disease), prostate cancer, lung cancer, certain types of leukemia, and other cancers and conditions.

In order to qualify you must have served regularly and repeatedly aboard a contaminated aircraft in one of the following positions:

  • –pilot/co-pilot
  • –flight nurse
  • –flight engineer
  • –aircraft loadmaster
  • –aircrew life support specialist
  • –aircraft maintenance specialist
  • –flight technician


Veterans who had active duty service, active duty for training, or inactive duty for training on such aircraft all qualify for benefits.

If you filed an application for benefits in the past that was denied or have never filed an application, you need to call out office to discuss this matter. When you call, please have the following information available: your DD214, any VA decisions on this issue, a list of the diseases that you believe were caused by Agent Orange, and a list of the doctors who have treated you these conditions. An attorney will then discuss this matter with you and give you a free analysis of your case.


We only get paid when you win, so you don’t have to worry about hourly rates or fees. That means you’ll never see a bill unless you win. Fill out the form below and you’ll hear back from us immediately.