James R. Burn, Jr.
During his presidency of the Student Bar Association, his currently elected positions, and his law practice, Jim has always sought to speak up for his community. Jim was the mayor of the Borough of Millvale, PA from 1994 to 2005; past chairman of the Allegheny County Democratic Party from 2006 to 2011; Allegheny County Council Member from 2006 to 2013; and he is the former chair of the Pennsylvania Democratic Party.
Jim was recently appointed as a Hearing Committee Member for the Disciplinary Board of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, joining a select few whose responsibility is to review the conduct of peers in the practice of law in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Jim was named Mayor of the Year in 1997 by the Pennsylvania State Mayors’ Association and was honored as one of Pennsylvania’s Top 50 Political Influencers by PoliticsPA in 2010. Jim has appeared on local and national radio and television programs to comment on a variety of legal and political issues affecting his clients and constituents. While appearing on Hardball with Chris Matthews, Mr. Matthews referred to Jim as President Obama’s best surrogate during the 2012 campaign for the White House.Married in 1997, Jim lives in Millvale with his wife, Lori, and their two sons, James Edward and Brandon Patrick.
Honors & Awards
- Mayor of the Year, Pennsylvania State Mayor Association, 1997
- Community Award, North Hills Community Outreach, 2002
- Community Award, Mooseheart, 2002
- Pennsylvania’s Top 50 Political Influencer by PoliticsPA, 2010
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Borough of Millvale, Mayor, 1994-2005
- Allegheny County Council, 2006-Present
- Chair, Pennsylvania Democratic Committee, 2010-Present
- Chair, Allegheny County Democratic Committee, 2006-2011
- Pennsylvania Bar Association and its Workers’ Compensation Section
- Pennsylvania Association for Justice and its Workers’ Compensation Section
- Allegheny Bar Association and its Workers’ Compensation Section
- Hearing Committee Officer, Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, 2012-Present
Areas of Practice
- Workers’ Compensation
- Social Security Disability
Bar and Court Admissions
- Pennsylvania, 1988
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Pennsylvania, 1988
- University of Dayton School of Law
- J.D., 1988
- Phi Delta Phi, Magister, 1987-1988
- American Jurisprudence Award Recipient, Advanced Criminal Law, 1987
- Student Bar Association, President, 1987-1988
- Student Bar Association, Vice President, 1987
- Duquesne University
- B.A., 1985