Today’s post was shared by The Workers’ Injury Law & Advocacy Group and comes from www.indystar.com
Photo provided by Walmart 2011
The two women who were abducted at the Avon Wal-Mart and later repeatedly raped have filed a lawsuit against the retail giant that alleges the company failed to intervene and call police after a man kidnapped them at gunpoint.
The complaint was filed Wednesday, a day before Marion County Prosecutor Terry Curry announced a litany of charges against the suspect. Michael Parrish, 37, Indianapolis, is accused of raping those two women and three others over a two-day period in early February. The boyfriend of one of the two women was beaten.
According to the complaint, filed in Hendricks Superior Court, the women were loading groceries into their truck in the store’s parking lot when Parrish kidnapped them at gunpoint. The complaint states that before that happened, Parrish had been seen on Wal-Mart’s security cameras acting suspiciously inside the store. Later, the complaint alleges, security cameras captured the kidnapping.
But no one from the store, the complaint alleges, called police after the women were abducted about 11 p.m.
The complaint alleges that the company violated Indiana law by failing to protect its customers and by allowing Parrish to remain on its premises despite suspicious behavior.
Betsy Harden, spokeswoman for Wal-Mart Stores Inc., said she could not comment about the complaint but said the company is reviewing it and is investigating the…